Thursday, April 19, 2007

What do I miss most from my pre-baby days?

What do I miss most from my pre-baby days?

This was the question of the week with my mom’s group this week. And it reminded of so many things that I missed…

• Sleep…gosh, do I miss my sleep! Although Zoe is sleeping much better now, and Ethan (if not overtired or having night terrors) sleeps pretty well, but I still can’t sleep as soundly as used to. Seems like I’m such a light sleeper now since I’m always listening for Zoe crying Ethan waking or intruders coming into my home (I know, I’m a bit neurotic). I’m not sure sleep will ever be the same.
• My mind/memory – now all I have is ‘mommy-brain’. Mommy brain is when you can’t remember anything and forget things ALL the time. For example, last night I was….um…oh shoot, I forgot!
• Being guilt-free…I seem to always feel guilty about something. I’m guilty when I’m at work and should be at home with the kids, I’m guilty when I’m shopping or relaxing and not paying attention to them, I’m guilty when I’m scrapbooking, I’m guilty when I’m trying to sleep in, I’m guilty that I didn’t nurse them longer, or I’m guilty that I’m not cooking healthier home cooked meals, or Whatever!!! It never ends…
• My pre-baby body...although, I was never supermodel skinny, I was STILL thinner and firmer. Not so much anymore…
• Time with my husband (just the two of us)
• Just pickin up and goin! - without having to pack the bottles, and the diaper bags and the stroller and the little backpack of fun toys Ethan plays with when we eat out at restaurants. Wouldn’t it be nice to just get up and GO?
• Travel…Wish we could travel to exciting places, although we never really did. It would be fun to travel to new places, especially if we could go internationally!
• Movies...John and I have seen a handful of movies in the movie theater since Ethan was born. We used to go pretty frequently when we didn’t have kids. Now we wait til the movies come out on DVD but then rarely get around to even watching them.


But, none of these things, even if we got to do them all day long every single day….would come close to the happiness and love I’ve gotten from my post-baby days. Zoe and Ethan are my world, as many of you know!

These kids are hard work but worth every bit. Just ask any mom (or dad).

No comments: